Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Homeless Rob Bids Farewell To Homelessness



Without question Robert Rashford, aka: "Homeless Rob" to many of his online followers, has been one of my most interesting homeless recovery students. I recall meeting Rashford Christmas morning at Wesely Memorial Church Fellowship Hall. Among the many local homeless he was the new face in town -- and with my ear to the ground -- I usually hear about these new faces long before I meet them.

In the handful of months we worked together in his homeless recovery he cultivated an itemized list of personal accomplishments, so many I have to mention them.

1. Got a roof over his head and a job in the same day.
2. Graduated from sign holder to top salesperson with our private sector employer, Mobile Auto Glass and repair.
3. Self published an Ebook on Amazon along with a paperback version on LULU.com
4. Invited to talk about his homeless journey with two radio show hosts.
5. Featured in a two-page spread in the Sunday edition of the Tampa Bay Times
6. Built a Facebook of almost 300 followers
7. Blogged his daily road to recovery attracting an audience from around the globe
8. Has been called an inspiration for homeless recovery and advocates of homeless plight from around the world
9. And after just a few months of knowing him, received a substantial job offer from Boeing Aircraft in Washington State, which he accepted. 

I learned a lot about homeless recovery after working with "Rob" in just the few months that I knew him. I never ask for anything in return when I help someone get off the streets -- but I do ask they help me help someone in need just like I helped them.

Rob has fulfilled this obligation, there was a bounty of knowledge bestowed on me during his rise from the ashen depths. I hope to use what I have learned, to help someone just like Rob helped himself.

Good Luck Robert -- It was an honor to be a part of your  recovery story.


Deputy Steven Donaldson
Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office
District III Office: (813) 247-0330
Email: sdonalds@hcso.tamp.fl.us
Facebook.com/HelpCopsHelpUs


  

No comments:

Post a Comment