Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Deputy goes beyond badge to help homeless

Deputy goes beyond badge to help homeless

 HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY --By Dalia Dangerfild Bay News 9

A Hillsborough County deputy is going beyond the badge.

Deputy Steven Donaldson runs the homeless initiative Help Cops Help Us.

He launched it more than a year ago. It uses a personal approach and connects with private businesses to get people the help they need.

“I'm not an advocate for the homeless, just trying to solve a problem,” he said.

Sometimes that means finding jobs or helping with housing. Other times it's just a ride in the squad car.

“He'll take me to my doctors, he'll take me to work every once in a while,” said Robert Pellechio. “He'll help me with my bike. He helped me get a bike, so he's done a lot for me.”

“When I really knew I was on to something is when TPD called me or sent me an email rather,” Donaldson said, “and said, 'hey, we got our homeless liaison, tell us what you do.'"

Tampa Police is using his model and soon Donaldson believes what he's doing here could become a nationwide vision as well.

Donaldson says he's helped 85 homeless people in the last year. He focuses his efforts on the Town N’ Country area and now another deputy covers the neighborhoods around USF.

Donaldson plans to expand his reach by launching a non-profit in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment