Saturday, July 23, 2011

Red Cap Plumbing And Homeless Initiative Get Another One Off The Streets


After a year of working with Steven Venus, a Town N' Country homeless man, he finally came up with a solution that would reconnect him with a support system -- his family in Sparta, Illinois. Steven told me: "If you can get me a Bus ticket, my step-dad is anxious to take me in and get me back on my feet." After speaking directly with Steven's step-father in Sparta my next call was to John Gennaro, founder and President of Red Cap Plumbing.

After I explained the game plan to Gennaro he didn't think twice about getting on-line and booking a bus pass for Steven so he can return to his family where he will get the much needed help. "It's a small investment for a substantial return," Gennaro said. "A substantial return for Steven and a substantial return for our community."

He challenges other private sector businesses to do the same thing to help turn our communties around.

"It's the right thing to do," said Gennaro.



Steven's Story:

He wasn't the most likely of candidates to become successful and rehabilitate from his years of living on the streets. But, Steven Venus would soon learn that he couldn't escape from the grasp of the Sheriff's Office either. After months of working with Venus and his aversion with the police and conformity all together, he finally came around. A few months back I got a call from Steven, he left a message for me, it read: "I'm ready to get off the streets."

We entered him into the Salvation Army's ARC program for men and for over four months he was dry, happy, and 20 lbs heavier than when living on the street.

I thought we had hit a home run until reality set in -- and Steven fell off the wagon. I received the first phone call from Steven as a "matter of respect," he said. "I wanted you to hear it from me first -- that I failed ...and I'm sorry...but I tried," Steven told me over the phone.

I wasn't mad or even upset because I knew Steven still felt accountable to me and there was still enough flicker in the flame to work with him and that's what we did. We don't give up on people just because they fail, we stay on them until we wear them down enough for them to submit.

Steven decided he was ready to try it again but this time he would have to come up with his own problem-solving answer. We talked about his family in Sparta, Illinois and that he needed a support structure to be successful. It was his idea, the homeless initiative just made it happen!

A special Thanks to John Gennaro and Red Cap Plumbing with helping us get another homeless person off the streets.


Steve

3 comments:

  1. I'm impressed, I have to say. Actually hardly ever do I encounter a weblog that's equally educative and entertaining, and let me inform you, you may have strike the nail on the head. Your concept is outstanding the issue is one thing that not sufficient individuals are speaking intelligently about. I am very joyful that I stumbled throughout this in my find for anything referring to this.
    Plumber in Finchley
    Plumber in North London

    ReplyDelete
  2. Follow us on Face Book @ Facebook/HelpCopsHelpUs if you would like

    DEP D

    ReplyDelete