Monday, July 16, 2012

People behind the scenes: Writer, contributor joins homeless blog


Brent Donaldson joins blog as contributing writer
 Tampa - By Brent Donaldson

It started with a meeting at a Starbucks coffeehouse. I was seated in the corner by myself as I sipped iced coffee from a plastic straw and randomly checked the time on my iPod. The room was filled with the stimulating scent of Arabica beans and Espresso foam mixed with the chatter of young voices -- And, I couldn’t help but eavesdrop while I waited for 10:00 am to arrive.

Around me, the many conversations touched on the looming hangovers that would soon follow summer break, and who was doubling-up on classes and who was dropping out. But, suddenly -- an abrupt silence came over the room. I looked up just in time to see the cause of their quiet disruption pulling up into the busy parking lot, its reflection in the gloss of a nearby window pane caught my eye.

“To Serve and Protect”, read the reflected words as they slowed to a stop. I stood up and walked in the direction of the door.

“One more drink, "a cappuccino, please.” I called to the barista with a wave of my hand. “Well, great” I thought to myself with a laugh, “Now everyone knows the cop is with me.”

However, after maybe ten minutes had passed, something incredible happened. We sat there together, both of our reading glasses donned as we feverishly scribbled one note after the other -- together our heads were pitching ideas faster than our hands could write them down. Neither of us had expected the meeting to go this well.

 “Another coffee, Miss. Make this one black.”

We bounced ideas back and forth, with each round they became more refined, potent, and more effective. We discussed, amongst other things, how to promote the Homeless Initiative, “You see, Dad …,” I started with my most patronizing tone, “there is this thing called the Internet.” He rolled his eyes and we shared a laugh. Little did we know, however, that by the end of the next day a featured blog video would attract a respectable viral audience of more than five-thousand hits in the course of a just few hours. For a father and son duo we made a pretty good team with our first marketing release.

But ultimately, I am writing this introduction to acquaint myself with the many of you who support, contribute and follow the works of the Homeless Initiative. Those who have been here since almost its inception -- pouring every last drop of your time and resources into this idea my father had -- an idea we all now share together. To the many devoted who have worked tirelessly, writing checks and lifting shovels, to make our community better in every sense of the word. And, if I may say, it is an incredible honor to be allowed to join you all as a contributor -- and perhaps, even speak on behalf of the many that can’t speak for themselves.
My father, with all of your help, has concocted a truly unique recipe for success. And, now with my help, I hope that we can add just a pinch of youth to that recipe. I am here to be the ying to my father’s yang; a left to my dad’s right. I am here as a contributing writer, and a fresh pair of eyes and ears. I am Brent Donaldson, and I am very pleased to meet you all.






2 comments:

  1. Great to see you have joined the cause, Brent. Enjoyed your article :) A. Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article, Looking forward to the future of this project

    ReplyDelete