Monday, July 9, 2012

People behind the scenes: Citizens Patrol Volunteer Angela Liverzani Quartararo

 Tampa - By Steven L Donaldson

Early on, when the Homeless Initiative debuted with its online presence it soon cultivated a cast of immediate followers and devotees to the cause of homeless recovery and successful rehabilitation from the streets.

But, one persistent fan of the law enforcement brand, Angela Liverzani Quartararo, was so adamant and pronounced with her desire she emailed her resume highlighting her years as a Pinellas County social worker with the deep-seeded ambition of becoming part of the mix.  

I couldn't resist her pit bull angle of attack and regular follow-up much longer and finally let her jump on board recently as a volunteer -- my only regret: I should have done it much sooner.

Not too long ago I called Angela at her home office and delivered the first homeless recovery assignment: find me a horse farm that needed a ranch hand. It wasn't an hour later when Angela called back with her first homeless recovery solution for a young man named Anthio, a show horse trainer I had been working with on the streets for a few weeks. It was a successful match pairing him up with a local horse rescue, Equestrian, Inc., all within just a few miles from where me and Anthio stood.

More recently, I had to slide Angela a curve ball -- I stumbled upon a deaf homeless man who had been living out of an abandoned muffler shop on Dale Mabry Highway for a few weeks. After calling upon my usual resources I was at a dead-end and even stumped. I was having trouble getting help for the man and had to rely on Angela to come through for me once again. 

Angela must work well under pressure -- she could hear the stress in my voice as I explained to her that we had an unusual case. The homeless recovery blood hound was dispatched on the phones unearthing sign language interpreters and digging up answers like she was palming  cliff notes under her desk for the final exam.    

I don't know how I thought I could have gotten along without her. So, a big Thank You to my homeless recovery side-kick for all her volunteerism, enthusiasm, and mostly for being part of the Homeless Recovery team.

You're the best!


Deputy Steven Donaldson
Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office
Homeless Initiative
District III Office: (813) 247-0330
Email: sdonalds@hcso.tamp.fl.us
Facebook.com/HelpCopsHelpUs



1 comment:

  1. That is a great story...and what a great partner to have!! Good job to you both... Gil

    ReplyDelete