Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Private Sector Steps Up To The Plate, Again


We all remember Robert, the 24-year-old homeless young man that used to live in a tent behind a church in Town N' Country. It wasn't long after we first discovered Robert camping as a wandering nomad did he get his first sign of relief -- he found a job with a nearby employment agency. Robert saved enough money to rent a small efficiency and is now off the streets.

It's only been a short time since Robert has been off the street, however -- so day-to-day survival is still a struggle. It's not always easy climbing out of a hole and keeping your head above water, particularly when you're trying to do it on your own.

Robert telephoned me August 1st, making a tentative call for assistance -- Robert explained: "I'm going to be short a $100 Dollars for rent this month." We like to follow up on our homeless candidates especially those that have just found their way off the streets; conceding that, once they're into housing we want them to stay there -- even if they need a little boost every now and again.

If I didn't feel Robert was a legitimate case for a little helping hand then I would have nixed his call for relief -- I've had to do it before.

But, in Robert's case I was glad to help.

Looking for a $100 Dollar sponsor, I called the owner of Unique Pest Control, a man I've known for 45-years, Carl Donaldson. The same man that happens to be my dad in as many years. It was a meager investment for someone that's been in business for over 35 years -- but, a sincere gesture of philanthropy nonetheless. I thought that he would be a likely last minute donor following his affirming reaction after reading the story covering the Homeless Initiative in the St Pete Times.

To most of us, $100 Dollars might not deliver the same reaction as when Robert got the word that someone he never met was going to help him out. I think he was mostly surprised that I was able to find someone so quickly that would answer the call for help -- to Robert though, it was a financial windfall.

I know this may not be another story of financial blessing in lotto-sized proportions; but, it is another story of connecting people in need with people who want to help.

A special thanks to my dad for helping out.

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment