Monday, May 21, 2012

Deputy is lone ranger in working with Tampa's homeless

By: April Kellogg, FOX 13 News

TAMPA (FOX 13) - Hillsborough County deputy Steven Donaldson has no desk. He has no office, either. He works on the streets, working to get people off them.

"We engage every person individually one on one," said Donaldson, who is part of the department's homeless initiative.

In fact, he is the department's homeless initiative, solely helping on getting people off the streets.

"These folks, these human beings have to be accountable to another human being, and I'm that other human being," he said. He's now helped 90 people.

Many of their stories are on his website "helpcopshelpus.org." One of those stories is Ryan Lee's. "I was just really down on myself and feeling really bad about the position I was in and wallowing in self pity," Lee said.

Lee lost his job a year and a half ago, got hooked on drugs and wound up homeless. "I was charging my phone in front of a Walmart, and I guess somebody complained about me And that's when Donaldson was called.

"We were able to solve his problems right away because once he had a clear mind and a clear focus, he was on his way," Donaldson said.

Three weeks with Donaldson and Lee is now off drugs, has a roof over his head and is back in contact with his daughter Sophia. He's now also looking for work again.

"He's really just opened my eyes to where I could be and where I should be," Lee said. So how does he do it?

He's persistent and sometimes abrasive. Quite frankly, Donaldson can be a pain in the you know what. And that's what works.

"It might take six months, might take a year, but I wear them down because I'm not going anywhere," he said.

He wore Lee down. "I didn't like him," Lee said. But now? "Now, he is like my role model," he replied.

Some have slipped - ended up in jail - or back on the streets. But Donaldson is right back in their face.

"At the core, it's made me a better person, and with being a better person I'm a better officer," he said.

Deputy Steven Donaldson
Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office
Homeless Initiative
District III Office: (813) 247-0330
Email: sdonalds@hcso.tamp.fl.us
Facebook.com/HelpCopsHelpUs
HelpCopsHelpUs.org

2 comments:

  1. Helping someone always makes one a better person. Continue, this is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great thing having Deputy Donaldson out there helping people help themselves.

    ReplyDelete